Balint at 50: from Foundation to the Future: 17th May 2019, 9am to 6pm
A day long event to celebrate our 50th anniversary at the Wellcome Collection, 183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE.
Price: £80 (students £10)
Click here to register
09.00 Registration, Coffee & opportunity to view an Exhibition about the Balints
- courtesy of Raluca Soreanu & Ewan O’Neill, British Psychoanalytical Society
09.45 Welcome to the day: Caroline Palmer, President of Balint Society UK.
10.00 Balint & his Psychoanalytic Legacy
- Michael Balint in Hungary: Raluca Soreanu.
- His early years at the Tavistock Clinic, work with Enid & GPs: Jennifer Johns.
- Psychoanalysis within current Balint Work: Gearoid Fitzgerald.
10.45 The GP Experience of early groups & the birth of the Balint Society.
- Jimmy Carne: ‘From the Long Case to Six Minutes for the Patient’.
- John Salinsky: The establishment of the Society, & remembering Mike Courtenay.
11.15 Coffee & exhibition viewing.
11.45 23rd Michael Balint Memorial Lecture.
- “Balint and Virtue Ethics” by Peter Toon
12.45 Lunch & exhibition viewing.
13.45 Fishbowl Experience: an example of how a Balint group may function.
14.45 Tea & exhibition viewing.
15.15 From The Psychiatrist’s Chair.
- ‘Balint from the Cradle to the Grave’: James Johnston
- Balint & me: Khushi Ghazanfar
15.45 Cum Scientia Caritas: Balint in General Practice.
- GP Registrar Balint groups & the Care Home Pilot group: Suni Perera.
- GP Balint groups & hospital groups: David Watt.
- The Academy and Balint Research: Andrew Elder.
16.30 Into the Future! Student Balint Experiences & Plans.
- Balint Essay Prize Winner 2018: Inseo Yun (Edinburgh)
- ‘From membership to leadership’: Scarlett Tankard. (Bristol)
- Setting up the Pan-London Medical Student Balint Society: Victoria Whitford